The Homeplace

Here you will find recipes that will remind you of years gone by. Families love to get together and these recipes are some samplings of our gatherings at 'The Homeplace'.

Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Friday, April 28, 2006

Roast Fresh Ham


I've been craving this ham, even though we enjoyed it at The Homeplace at Easter. It's the best ham I've ever eaten, and if you are fortunate enough to live near Meadowbrook Meat Market, I highly recommend their ham. It is mouth-watering good. I have made it with and without the rub - it is delicious both ways, but the rub gives it that little extra (and makes you drool the whole time it's cooking.) I have put the rub on the night before and I've also put it on just before putting it in the oven. I've never basted it; I just put it fat side up in the roasting pan and then it is self-basting. You just can't go wrong with ham. And who doesn't love ham? It's a great way to feed a crowd.

1 1/4 tsp. rubbed sage (I just use ground since I never have whole leaves)
1 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 bay leaves, crumbled
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh ham, shank or butt portion, including bone (about 4 kg)

In a small bowl, stir together sage, ginger, pepper, bay leaves and garlic until well mixed. Remove any rind from ham but do not remove fat. Rub the herb mixture all over the ham. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Unwrap the ham and place it in a 13x9x2" roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F and baste with pan drippings. Roast, uncovered, basting every 30 minutes, for about 4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted near but not touching the bone registers 160°F. If the ham seems to be browning too fast, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.

Recipes using leftover ham will be coming soon.

(I will try to remember to take a picture next time I make this.)

~ Charmin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home