The Homeplace

Here you will find recipes that will remind you of years gone by. Families love to get together and these recipes are some samplings of our gatherings at 'The Homeplace'.

Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Monday, June 12, 2006

Hamburger Helper Stroganoff


Hamburger Helper was one of my favourites as a child. I have become a firm believer that everything tastes better from scratch, and I've even found that Hamburger Helper doesn't take any longer to make that way. I usually make a tomato-based italian style, but I didn't have any tomato sauce on hand yesterday so I improvised. The results were scrumptious. I used the yogurt because I didn't have any sour cream, and quite honestly couldn't tell the difference. I love sour cream so that's saying a lot!

1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp. dried onion flakes OR about 1/2 cup. chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3 c. hot water + 1 tbsp. beef bouillon (or 3 c. homemade beef stock if you're lucky enough to have it!)
1 tsp. dillweed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 pkg. extra broad egg noodles
1/4 c. sour cream or Balkan-style plain yogurt

Brown ground beef (and chopped onion if using) in large frypan. Drain if necessary, and stir in soup, onion flakes (if using), water, bouillon, dillweed and salt. Bring to a boil. Add noodles, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until noodles are done, stirring occasionally. Stir in yogurt or sour cream. Serves 4 - 6.

~ Charmin

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I usually make this with Campbells cream of chicken soup, but tonight I made it with no name...i don't recommend the no name stuff!!! It was super runny and didn't taste quite the same :(

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home