The Homeplace

Here you will find recipes that will remind you of years gone by. Families love to get together and these recipes are some samplings of our gatherings at 'The Homeplace'.

Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Monday, August 28, 2006

Macaroni & Tomato Juice


Mom told me that Grammie would make this when the budget was tight and the cupboard was bare. I have made it when the cupboard was bare, when the brain was dead, when I didn't have time to make something else... It's a great desperation meal. I don't know how Mom makes hers, but here's how I do it.

Cook 2 cups elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain. In 6 cup casserole, toss macaroni with 1/4 cup butter until butter is melted. Pour 500 ml Heinz tomato juice over macaroni. (No Name tomato juice just isn't the same.) Top with 2 or 3 handfuls of crushed crackers. Bake at 350° for about half an hour (until crackers are nicely browned).

Hopefully this isn't one of those family recipes that traumatizes Anne. I understand they ate it every Thursday for supper for the 14 years or so that Anne was home while Mom was an Awana leader. Let's hope this recipe brings back good memories.

~ Charmin

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I LOVE this meal. Honestly, I loved Thursdays and probably ate about a hundred platefuls before we rushed off to Awana. I've tried to make it many times, but I just dont' have mom's touch. Man oh man. I better call Jonathan and tell him to bring home some tomato juice. Mmmmm. SOmetimes I like to grate up some cheese and put it on top too. Good stuff.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home