The Homeplace

Here you will find recipes that will remind you of years gone by. Families love to get together and these recipes are some samplings of our gatherings at 'The Homeplace'.

Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Benson Beans


This is the "reasonable facsimile" recipe because I have never seen the original. Mrs. B used to make Benson Beans for every get-together. We loved them so much I started experimenting, and this is close enough for us. If we ever manage to have leftovers, they don't last past that evening. I even like them cold. Yes, I've got it bad.

Combine 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp. chicken bouillon powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss with 3 cups frozen green beans and 1/2 cup grated mozzarella. Scrape into 1 quart slow cooker and cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, until beans are desired tenderness. Top with 1/2 cup grated mozzarella and cook on high until cheese is melted.

If I ever have freshly grated Parmesan (maybe 1/4 cup?) and a can of mushroom pieces when I make this, I will throw them in too. I think the original had Parmesan and mushrooms and it would only make it that much more delish.

You can also make them in the oven: Cook and drain the green beans, then toss with remaining ingredients (except second cheese amount) and put in 6 c. baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350°F for about half an hour.

~ Seven

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Grossness!!! Too bad I don't like the kind of food you guys do. But seriously, Benson Beans is something that has never ceased to sicken me.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you got it bang on Shannarama

:) My fave too!

tracy (benson)

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home